- 01.05.2019 to 01.05.2025
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Janina Fels
AUDICTIVE - Auditory Cognition in Interactive Virtual Environments
In recent years, considerable progress has been made in understanding hearing-related (auditory) cognitive processes and performances. This is true from basic functions such as perception, attention, and memory to complex performances such as scene analysis and communication. Well-controlled, simple instances of virtual environments have been used.
Recent developments in audiovisual virtual reality (VR) hardware and software technologies can now contribute to the understanding of complex audiovisual scenes, such as in acoustically awkward situations like classrooms, open-plan offices, communication between multiple people, or outdoor scenarios with multiple and moving sound sources. It is also possible to investigate how acoustic and visual components, as well as other contextual factors, influence the ability to interact with the scene.
By linking the disciplines of acoustics, cognitive psychology, and virtual reality/computer science, the priority program aims to expand knowledge about hearing-related cognitive performance in real-world scenes and enable the development of "auditory-cognitive validated" VR technology.
- Coordination: Univ.-Prof. Dr.-Ing. Janina Fels , RWTH Aachen University, Chair for Hearing Technology and Acoustics
Further members of the program committee:
- Univ.-Prof. Dr. Torsten Kuhlen , RWTH Aachen, Department of Computer Science, Chair and Research Area Virtual Reality and Immersive Visualization
- Univ.-Prof. Dr. Steven van de Par, Carl von Ossietzky University, Department of Medical Physics and Acoustics, Medical Physics Division
- Univ.-Prof. Dr.-Ing. Alexander Raake, TU Ilmenau, Institute for Media Technology, Department of Audiovisual Technology
- Univ.-Prof. Dr. Sabine Schlittmeier, RWTH Aachen University, Institute of Psychology, Department of Psychology with focus on Auditory Cognition
To the press release of RWTH Aachen University: Press release RWTH Aachen University