- 2020 to 2022
- Prof. Dr. Stefan Böschen
Prof. Dr. Reinhard Madlener
Prof. Dr. phil. Eva-Maria Jakobs
Prof. Dr. Frank Lohrberg
Prof. Dr.-Ing. Susanne Mütze-Niewöhner
Prof. Dr. Christa Reicher
Flexible Electrical Networks (FEN). DC Socio-Economics. Niche readiness and market diffusion of DC technologies.
DC technologies have great potential for the energy transition. The fact that it has been insufficiently exploited so far has both historical and technological reasons. The field of DC technologies differs greatly in terms of the technology readiness level (TRL) of DC technologies and thus their market maturity. The use of DC technologies varies not only in terms of technological maturity, but also depending on the socio-technical conditions of their embedding - for example, the use and implementation differ strongly depending on the country. To date, it is largely unclear what socio-economic conditions must be in place not only to increase their maturity, but also to support and accelerate their market diffusion. The overarching research question of the project is: Which DC technologies fit into which socio-spatial contexts because they make economic sense and are socially embeddable, and which factors determine their emergence, their development in niches, and their market diffusion towards far-reaching transformation processes?
- Coordination: Prof. Dr. Stefan Böschen, RWTH Aachen, Chair of Technology and Society
Further members of the program committee:
- Prof. Dr. Reinhard Madlener, RWTH Aachen University, Chair of Economics, esp. energy economics
- Prof. Dr. phil. Eva-Maria Jakobs, RWTH Aachen University, Department of Text Linguistics and Technical Communication
- Prof. Dr. Frank Lohrberg, RWTH Aachen University, Chair of Landscape Architecture
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Susanne Mütze-Niewöhner, RWTH Aachen University, Chair of Occupational Science
- Prof. Dr. Christa Reicher, RWTH Aachen University, Chair of Urban Planning and Design